Every month, your elected RSU officers meet for Students’ Union Council (SUC) to discuss issues that impact students and make decisions on the work of the Sabbatical Officer team and wider SU.
Here, Officers provide updates on their campaigns and projects, discuss new Ideas, and review RSU policies and procedures.
All students are welcome to attend SUC to offer feedback or to voice their opinions.
SU Council Round-Up:
SU Council 5, held on 7th February 2023:
- SU Council noted the results of the recent RSU Officer Elections and agreed to open the co-option process to fill remaining vacancies. We will be providing a timeline on this process shortly - so look out if you're interested!
- SU Council approved Ross Deluchi as the fourth Delegate going to NUS National Conference.
- The Sabbatical Officers each gave an update on what they've been doing. Highlights include working to amend mitigating circumstances. the success of the cheap meal series, homelessness awareness, and Summer Ball preparations - you can buy a ticket here!
- Officers also discussed the impact of the Elm Grove fire, raising awareness about eating disorders, improving digital networks, and initiative ideas that could be funded by money saved from industrial action.
SU Council 4, held on 7th February 2023:
- SU Council again voted to support UCU striking staff.
- SU Council noted that nominations to join next year's RSU Officer team is currently open.
- The Sabbatical Officers each gave an update on what they've been doing. Highlights include planning for LGBTQ+ History Month, a review of the collection process for community fridges, and a cheap meals series.
SU Council 3, held on 6th December 2022:
- SU Council rejected proposals to follow the University in adopting the working definitions of antisemitism (IHRA) and Islamophobia (APPG). Officers will now collaborate to re-introduce new working definitions that are more inclusive.
- Officers discussed the recent UCU strikes. For students wanting more information, you can view: UoR FAQs, RSU FAQs, or UCU FAQS
- Officers discussed problems students are facing with the cost-of-living crisis. VP (Community & Welfare), Sharon Azams is looking into schemes to support more students, and had Officer feedback on this.
- The Sabbatical Officers each gave an update on what they've been doing. Highlights include developing the TEF student submission, decolonisation & race education campaigns, and developing a mitigating circumstances working group.
SU Council 2, held on 10th November 2022:
- SU Council unanimously passed a proposal to support the UCU's striking staff! You can find the proposal here.
- Student Sasha Goloborodko was elected the new Trans Students' Officer! The election to fill the vacant Interfaith Officer position has been deferred to the next meeting - interested students can apply here.
- Gender Equality Officer, Lily Wells' and Mental Health Officer, Elliot Barlow's proposal 'No More Other!' passed unanimously
- A student taskforce will now work to encourage the university to change the titles on their enrolment forms, and will undertake research on how to make forms more inclusive
- Officers were elected to multiple committee positions / roles:
- Trans Students' Officer, Sasha Goloborodko elected to Student Executive Committee
- Mental Health Officer, Elliot Barlow and Trans Students' Officer, Sasha Goloborodko elected to Elections Committee
SU Council 1, held on 18th October 2022:
Emergency SU Council, held on 4th October 2022:
Below, you can find all SU Council Papers: Agenda & Minutes (inc. Officer updates):
The next meeting of SU Council is on Thursday 9th March 2023, in the Adam Room (GH), Froebel.
For any questions about the Round-Ups, SU Council papers or anything else about RSU democratic procedures, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org