Recent Blog Posts
I’m Beth and I’m the Mental Health Officer. I study 3rd-year psychology and hope to become a Clinical Psychologist. I care SO much for other people and really want to make a difference. I volunteer weekly with the mental health charity Mind, have been involved in lots of charity work and I support the university’s Mental Health Network. I am bubbly, supportive, understanding and approachable and I have a lot of personal experience in relation to mental health.
Did you know?: 78% of students experience a mental health problem during their studies
- Working with Disabilities to ensure students with a mental health diagnosis have a Summary of Adjustments: which could include extended deadlines, exams in separate rooms, lenience in regards to attendance; and access to Disabled Students Allowance which can include mentoring/ a recorder to record missed lectures.
- Providing students with another source of support, alongside other university support services- such as mental health advisors- in which they can confide in.
- Supporting general wellbeing with the Health and Wellbeing team, for example- exam stress tips, revision management, mindfulness, and deadline organisation.
- Supporting events including Mental Health University Day (with the Wellbeing team) and Mental Health Month (with the RSU) and Mental Health Network committee events.
I strive to:
- Reform the Sexual Harassment Reporting System;
- Campaign for faster counselling services,
- Increase funding for Mental Health,
- Introduce safe/rest spaces and quiet zones;
- Recruit a team of students to discuss mental health
- Represent mental health within the council;
- Reduce mental health stigma, raise awareness for mental health as a disability and encourage others to seek help
- Support and raise awareness of the Mental Health Network;
- Live on campus to remain accessible for support for new and old students
- Organise student led projects
- Support off campus students with struggles;
- Provide mental health first-aid training and optional support sessions for flat reps
- Support mental health referrals.