Click4Assistance UK Live Chat Software


Bullying and harassment are terms used to describe behaviour which the recipient finds unacceptable, offensive or upsetting.

The behaviour often creates an intimidating, hostile environment which has a negative impact on work and social life.

What is harassment?

Harassment is behaviour which the recipient finds unacceptable, offensive or upsetting. Anyone can suffer from harassment. You may encounter harassment from any other person including fellow students, housemates, neighbours, work colleagues, members of University staff or landlords.

A single incident or repeated incidents of unwelcome behaviour may constitute harassment. Even behaviour which was not intended to cause offence or distress can constitute as harassment if the recipient is upset by it.

Health, physical characteristics, personal beliefs, sexual orientation, gender and age are common harassment issues. Harassment can occur between people of the same or different gender, nationality, sexual orientation, age etc. Harassment can be verbal or non-verbal. ‘Cyber-bullying’ – via text, email and social networking sites is a more recent type of harassment.

Differences in language, culture or attitude may mean that what is perceived as offensive behaviour or language by one person may not be by another.

Dealing with harassment

We are committed to providing you with an inclusive and supportive environment and do not tolerate acts of violence or any language or behaviour that leaves others feeling embarrassed, harassed, bullied, abused or discriminated against.

If you do see or experience unacceptable behaviour please report it to one of the following members of staff:

  • The Student Wellbeing team - which can be contacted at health& or in the Information Centre.
  • A member of faculty or service staff working within, or responsible for, the location in which an incident has taken place, such as Security or RSU Staff.
  • Your personal tutor or any academic staff you trust.
  • Roehampton Students’ Union

In cases where the perpetrator of abuse is another student, action may be taken under the University’s Student Disciplinary Procedures.  We understand, however, that making a formal report can be daunting.  In such circumstances, RSU has an Academic Advisor (if it is academic-related) who would be happy to talk to you or one of the Sabbaticals will be happy to meet with you. They don’t have to take any names or any details that may identify the individual(s) concerned, to discuss what has been happening and the implications and possible outcomes of making a formal report.

If you wish to get in contact with us, give us a call on 02083923221 or
Please contact the University’s Wellbeing Service for emotional support on 020 8392 3204