Applying for a grant from the Student Activities Fund
For the academic year 2018-19, the RSU were granted funding by the University of Roehampton to spend on student activities on campus. This became the Student Grant Pot, and is available to be applied for by all societies for any large events.
We would look at spending it on the following:
- Transport ( not individual train tickets, but we would look into coaches or minibus costs)
- Competition entries
This money is available for all societies to apply for. However it is unlikely we would fund the below unless the societies were able to justify this. If this is necessary, please message the societies coordinator to arrange a meeting.
- Trip Tickets
- Anything that is not a benefit to the Society or does not assist in its development
- Taxis / Ubers / Flights
This is just to give you an idea of what we would and would not accept this year. For example if you wanted to bring in a speaker, we would look at what we could do to assist, or if you wanted to develop your event. However we would not be paying for your committee dinner, or ticket entry for your society to see a concert or go to a theme park.
Applying for Societies grants
All RSU Societies are encouraged to apply a grant from the Student Activities Fund, as long as it fits the following requirements:
- The society president must have attended compulsory committee training
- Societies must clearly state how much they plan to spend, and break down the expenditure accordingly
- Societies must have a clear objective as to what they want to achieve with the application
- They must have all their members signed up – for example, if they say they have 50 members but only 10 have signed up we could not provide the finance for 50 members.
- Precedence will be given to enhancement of the student experience and society development.
- Applicants must submit a written report on the success of the event (form online)
- Funding can only be granted to future events, not historical ones
- Applications are assessed on how well they meet the RSU values; Driven by students (collaborative), Empowering, Innovative, Influential, Inclusive, Approachable (Safe), and Fun!
Applications can be submitted at roehamptonstudent.com and must be submitted at least 4 weeks ahead of requirement in order to avoid disappointment. Please remember we do not work weekends, and on occasion holidays may occur where there will be a delay in responding to an application.
How to apply online for the Society Funding application
You need to be a committee member to apply for the Society Funding. Make sure you are logged into the RSU website, and are signed up as a committee member on your society page. Once you have done this, you can complete these steps:
- Go onto your Society Admin Page
- Select the Society Funding Application Button
- Fill out the following form, making sure to complete all information. There are three pages that need completing.
While there are a lot of questions, please consider and answer all the following as it helps us make a decision on your application clearly and with all the information provided.
- Click submit, and it will go straight to the Societies Coordinator. You will then receive an email in your inbox, showing it has been submitted. You will then be contacted in due course.
Applications are deemed successful or failed by a fortnightly RSU committee, and the applicant will be informed via email.
All items purchased with societies funds (grants or account money) are to be stored at the RSU. Items kept in the RSU and can be removed when requested for society events. Society items may not be used for non-society activity.
Claiming Societies grants
In order to ensure that all society funds are used to their full potential, the following procedure is routine:
- Candidate applies for grant from Student Activities Fund
- Only having received an email confirming the application to be successful, can money be spent. Both successful and unsuccessful applications will be informed via email, and amount granted may have been increased or decreased!!
- If an invoice for expenditure can be obtained pre-purchase, this should be forwarded to the Societies Coordinator, to be paid directly by the RSU
- If cash is required on purchase, i.e. online ordering/in a shop, the candidate must pay this personally, and forward receipts on to the RSU Societies Coordinator, who can ensure that this amount is reimbursed immediately
- Reimbursements will only be given for purchases relevant to the agreed application, i.e. if a society applies for a grant to take them to a museum, and bring back a receipt for a night’s worth of Snakebites… This would constitute misuse of society funds, in violation of the Societies Code of Conduct, and would be met with RSU disciplinary procedures
- The funds for the improper use will also then be taken from the society’s own funding pot
- All grant money recipients must fill in a feedback form, in order to give the RSU useful feedback on the expenditure
If funding from the Grant Pot has not been spent by the 31st May, we will withdraw the request and the funding will go back into the grant pot. This is the end of the financial year for Societies, so it is essential the payments have been made by this time.
If you are unsure whether your request would be granted, or would like some advice on what to apply for and how, please come in and chat to the Societies Coordinator in advance. Next academic year, all Societies will be asked to apply for a budget at the beginning of the year, so this will be the last year this process would be in action.
If you have any further questions, please contact the Societies Coordinator directly, or set up a meeting to discuss any applications that you need any advice on.
Student Activities Fund - Feedback, Feedback, Feedback
It is compulsory for every society that has been granted money from the Student Activities Fund to give the RSU feedback on how the money was spent, and how it positively impacted the Roehampton community. This will help us to improve the system by which funds are granted, as well as improving the overall society experience.
To make this easier for you, we have now uploaded the "Funding Report form" to the back of your society webpage. It's a super simple form, shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes to complete!
If this form has not been completed within two weeks of the event, we will have to remove the funds from the society's individual account, and return the grant to the Student Activity Fund, to be applied for by other societies.
If you have received funding in the past, and not reported back to us, please can you fill in this form ASAP!