Room Bookings as a RSU Society
As part of an active society, one the benefits you get is a variety of spaces to run different activities or meetings.
This could be a one hour session once a week on a regular basis during the academic year, or a couple of one off bookings for events, celebrations or talks that you may want to put on for your members. We encourage students to book up rooms on a regular basis, so there is some regularity to their society activities. These are booked up each term, and priority goes to first come first served.
However, due to the nature of the university and number of societies, rooms do get booked up in advance and may not always be available on your preferred timings or dates. Therefore I have created this document for you to see what are your options, what processes you will need to follow and the time frames you will need to consider.
IMPORTANT: Although every effort is made to ensure all needs are met as far as possible, requests for specific named individual rooms cannot be guaranteed. Please bear this in mind where applying, though we will always try and come up with an alternative option if possible.
When booking a room, you will need to consider the following:
- How many do you need to accommodate for?
- When do you need to hold it?
- What timings would you need?
- Do you need to include set up and set down time in your booking?
- What type of room would you require?
- Is space required, or is seating preferred?
- What type of set up do you need? Would you need audio or visual equipment?
- Is this a regular booking? In which case what dates will you need it, and have you taken in account holiday and exam dates?
- Could this be held in a Student Union reserved space, or does this need to be a University Space?
- Will you have an external speaker? ( Further information down below)
- Will you be charging for the activity?
The Student Union has three areas of space available that can be booked through the Societies Coordinator without going through the university. This space belongs to the Union, and has a clear schedule when we can see what is and what is not available. It is an extremely popular choice for societies to use due to the amount of space available, and ease of use.
- Monte Hall
- Grove House Corridor (GH008,GH009,GH0010)
- GH22 (Grove House)
- Digby Diner and Southlands Reef ( Booked through the College Life Officers for the colleges. Avaliable for one off bookings).
For further information on each area, please see the Student Union Rooms document for further information :
External Speaker Policy
If an RSU Society wishes to hold an event in which an external speaker will address society members, this absolutely must be passed through the External Speaker Policy. The RSU must be given information (in the Event Request form) regarding the speaker, their profession, organisations that they are affiliated with, and a link to a website regarding their work. Arrangements must not be confirmed with the speaker before RSU approval is received! Please give 2 weeks’ notice to avoid disappointment!
Room Booking Rules and Information
- GH22 is available from 9am to 11pm on weekdays during term-time. You can book them from 10am to 5pm on weekdays during the holidays. For bookings outside these times you'll need to contact the SU and this will need to be double checked through security.
- The classrooms on the Grove House Corridor are avaliable to use every Monday to Friday from 6pm, but must be booked through the Societies Coordinator.
- Details of an event must not be publicised until a room booking is confirmed.
- Bookings commence on the hour and rooms must be vacated by the times specified in the room booking confirmation, allowing ten minutes before the hour, for changeover at the end of the session.
- Rooms are allocated on the basis of the expected attendance provided at the time of booking, nature of the event and room capacity.
- To report any broken equipment, furniture or maintenance issues in the room please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Officially affiliated Students’ Union Clubs & Societies get priority bookings during term time & week days.
- The rooms can only be booked by Society Signatory members. They are solely for the purpose of Society use, not individual or external use (e.g. church, business, individual student). If an event is found in breach of this, the Society risks their room bookings being removed for the entire academic year. This includes previously booked rooms and event spaces.
- Sport BUCS training sessions & match bookings are prioritised as these are included in Sports Memberships. Therefore you may find on a Wednesday afternoon Monte Hall will be booked alongside evening spaces in Davies Hall and MUGA.
- Weekend bookings are prioritised for paid external bookings as this creates revenue for the SU. To enquire about rates please email email@example.com . However if there is weekend space available, we will happily book it for your society providing it can be managed by security.
- If you are running an activity or event, a generic risk assessment will need to be conducted. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on this.
- Be mindful of the needs of other student groups when making bookings. There are many different societies here at Roehampton and unfortunately not enough space for everyone to meet their needs. There are loads of great spaces on and off campus to suit your group’s needs. However we do have plenty of space, so it may be a case of looking at a room
- No smoking or vaping is permitted anywhere in any University building. Any group found to breach this will face disciplinary action. This is because vaping sets off the fire alarms.
- Please take your plates & glasses back down to the bar if anything if necessary and leave the room exactly as you found it. If you arrive at a room and it is messed up, please let the Student Union know immediately, and we will contact the previous occupiers.
- Failure to respect the space and disobeying these guidelines will result in the Union revoking the right for the offending group to be able to book rooms for that academic year.
- If you have booked a space but no longer need it please cancel the booking, please cancel up to 24 hours beforehand during the working week. The Union reserves the right to cancel future bookings/revoke booking rights where groups have booked but are not using the space.
- In order to safeguard the teaching timetabling process, Students’ Union Student Groups may only make bookings one term at a time. Bookings for the spring and summer terms may be made in the final two weeks of the preceding term. No room booking requests are taken or made during the summer vacation before the publication of the final teaching timetable in September ahead of the forthcoming academic year.
University Lecture and Seminar Rooms
Using University rooms is free but you may be charged for extra porter cover when necessary or for things like cleaning or security. We will not have access to the system to book this space until 7th October once university lectures have been booked.
You will need to fill in a room booking request form to do this. However please remember that due to the amount of lectures and events, these spaces get booked up way into the future. Therefore if you are planning an event, book earlier rather than later. Last minute bookings are also unlikely due to the demand.
Any rooms managed through the chaplaincy need to be done directly. Please contact email@example.com with the Societies Coordinator cc'd into the email. All multi faith rooms on campus are free for all students to use for relevant usage, but they are spaces which cannot be booked.
You can book MUGA and Davies Hall as an active society. However the priority of these bookings is to Sport Roehampton, therefore availability will be limited and is more likely to be during off-peak times. Approval for all bookings for these spaces will have to be requested, so please leave plenty of time to book. To book this space , please contact Sport Roehampton directly, but bear in mind that Sport will be prioritised.
Exceptions to Direct Room Bookings (Societies Only)
All societies need to book rooms through the Societies Coordinator. The only exception is Dance, Third Row, Roehampton Players, SSOAP and the Music Society. If you feel your society should not fall into this gap, please speak to the Societies Coordinator first, and then it can be discussed.
How do I book the rooms online?
- Log into the RSU website (remember, you will need to be a member of the society to do this).
- Select the new ‘Room Booking Form’ on the tab below.
- Fill out the form accordingly.
- Wait for a response.
(The Event Request Tab is now for any events or external speakers).
Rooms through the University are only available to book from October, therefore you may need to wait until timetabling have finished to book any rooms. We can however book you rooms through the RSU in the meantime until these rooms become available to book.
In order to book any rooms through the chaplaincy, please contact the relevant chaplain at the campus you require. These are available through the link here: https://www.roehampton.ac.uk/chaplaincy/ .
Getting Access to the Room (RSU Rooms Only)
Once the room has been confirmed via email, you can collect an access card from Kate at the RSU Reception desk (Lawrence House) between 9am to 5pm. This will allow you access by tapping the card on the door card access point. It will open from the time requested, and close off once the booking has ended.
- If your booking is an evening, please collect it earlier in the day (committee member only) and drop it back by 12pm the next day.
- If your booking is a Friday or a weekend, then please drop it off by 12pm the following Monday.You are welcome to pop these into the postbox next to the RSU.
If they are not collected by closing time please arrange this with either Kate or Carella in advance, otherwise the offices will be closed and access will not be available.