Applying for a grant from the Student Activities Fund
For the academic year 2019-20, the RSU were granted funding by the University of Roehampton to spend on student activities on campus. This became the Student Grant Pot, and is available to be applied for by all RSU registered societies for any activity, event or project which would support and engage the Roehampton Community.
It could be spent on:
- Society Development
- Transport ( not individual train tickets, but we would look into coaches or minibus costs)
- Competition Entries
This money is available for all societies to apply for. However it is unlikely we would fund the below unless the societies were able to justify this. If this is necessary, please message the societies coordinator to arrange a meeting.
- Trip Tickets
- Anything that is not a benefit to the Society or does not assist in its development
- Taxis / Ubers / Flights
This is just to give you an idea of what we would and would not accept this year. For example if you wanted to bring in a speaker, we would look at what we could do to assist, or if you wanted to develop your event. However we would not be paying for your committee dinner, or ticket entry for your society to see a concert or go to a theme park.
How can we apply for it?
All RSU Societies are encouraged to apply a grant from the Society Grant Pot, as long as it fits the following requirements:
- The society committee must have attended compulsory committee training
- Societies must clearly state how much they plan to spend, and break down the expenditure accordingly
- Societies must have a clear objective as to what they want to achieve with the application
- They must have all their members signed up – for example, if they say they have 50 members but only 10 have signed up we could not provide the finance for 50 members.
- Precedence will be given to enhancement of the student experience and society development.
- Applicants must submit a written report on the success of the event (form online)
- Funding can only be granted to future events, not historical ones
- Applications are assessed on how well they meet the RSU values; Driven by students (collaborative), Empowering, Innovative, Influential, Inclusive, Approachable (Safe), and Fun!
Applications can be submitted at roehamptonstudent.com and must be submitted at least 4 weeks ahead of requirement in order to avoid disappointment. Please remember we do not work weekends, and on occasion holidays may occur where there will be a delay in responding to an application.
How is the money decided?
When grant requests are put through, once a month the Activities Team go through the grant requests with the RSU President and Societies Officer and decide how the money is best spent. Applications which have good consideration, support a wide range of students and are well thought out are prioritised. We are currently awaiting confirmation on what the grant pot will be for the 2020-21 academic year.
What do we do next?
Check out the How to Apply for Society Funding Guide here for further information on how to compleate the process.
Student Activities Fund - Feedback, Feedback, Feedback
It is compulsory for every society that has been granted money from the Student Activities Fund to give the RSU feedback on how the money was spent, and how it positively impacted the Roehampton community. This will help us to improve the system by which funds are granted, as well as improving the overall society experience.
To make this easier for you, we have now uploaded the "Funding Report form" to the back of your society webpage. It's a super simple form, shouldn't take any longer than 10 minutes to complete!
If this form has not been completed within two weeks of the event, we will have to remove the funds from the society's individual account, and return the grant to the Student Activity Fund, to be applied for by other societies.
If you have received funding in the past, and not reported back to us, please can you fill in this form ASAP!